A while back, during a conversation I was asked, “Which type of keyboard do you use to do your work efficiently? And what are the different types of keyboards”.
Then I thought to convert that into a blog post as most of the people don’t know about the different keyboard varieties.
Although most of the people do know and work on some keyboards, I am damn sure that they don’t know all types of keyboards.
Of course, we all use keyboards for every aspect. Don’t we?
But we don’t know the types of keyboard, its names, and uses. So, to make things easier for all, I have come up with the article on computer keyboard types!
Usually, keyboards are vital for anyone. Isn’t it?
Just image your life without a keyboard in this hectic corporate life. You’ll get some nightmares because keyboards are that essential for anyone.
So, let’s get to the topic “different types of keyboards” so that you can get the best one suitable for your work or hobby!
10 Different Types Of Computer Keyboard Available In The Market
These days, there are different types of keyboards readily available in the market which is suitable for different kind of users.
Although most keyboards possess the same arrow keys, letters and other symbols there are few additional changes and tweaks to those keyboards.
For Ex: some keyboards have multimedia keys, power buttons, palm rests, gaming type and so on.
In that massive list of keyboard here I am sorting out few keyboards which are helpful for you to do your work much faster than you usually do in different aspects. So, let’s get started.
1. Multimedia Keyboard
Multimedia keyboards are very popular these days because they often used to streamline your music listening experience on your computer devices.
These are often used by the people who love to watch movies or listen to songs on their pc on regular bases. This keyboard provides different keys which match the traditional CD player, and the controls of this keyboard are almost similar.
These keyboards mainly designed with music in mind and these type of keyboards even helps you to increase on decrease volume by specific keys.
You can find lots of manufacturers who sell lots of multimedia keyboards, but for multimedia keyboards, you should be having at least five buttons which can control your entire computers volume & audio functions.
Typically there are lots of benefits of these kinds of keyboards. If you are striving to use these multimedia keyboards means you should know about the benefits of multimedia keyboards.
Benefits Of Multimedia Keyboards
- Volume Control: The first and topmost benefit for multimedia keyboards is its volume control. With this particular keyboard, you can control your entire sounds system of the keyboard. It is not only related to music regardless of a program it should be able to control the volume of your whole computer.
- Track Skipping: Track skipping is another benefit of a multimedia keyboard as you can skip your track to the other. You will have full control of play/ pause buttons, and at the same time, you will have access to the ” Previous Track” and “Next Track” option as well in this keyboard. This will help you to control your songs system simply using the keyboard. There is no need to touch the mouse or other aspects.
- Background Control: Usually, multimedia keyboards have options even when you can’t see the media player settings. In general background control option only works in windows media player by default. However, you can still configure any media player to run in the background similar to the windows media player.
- Helpful Buttons: Usually, multimedia keyboards have tons of buttons which often helps you to do your work with ease. For suppose if you are a regular user of the internet means you can make use of the browser launching button (You can find this with a home sign). You can even see a print screen button (to print your screen) an email button to open your default Microsoft email. Along with these you can button like calculator, shut down for PC as well in this useful keyboard.
2. Wireless Keyboard
As we are living the modern world, people are continuously upgrading themselves previously they used to use headphones, but now they are using wireless Airpods similarly they used to use wired keyboards but most of the people these days started using wireless keyboards.
Usually, wireless keyboards are nothing but the keyboard which doesn’t have the wire connected to the computer. It is one of the best types of keyboards because the people can freely move and they don’t have to sit in the same place forever. This keyboard type uses radio frequency such as Bluetooth or Infrared technologies.
By using this keyboard, you can quickly move to different places in the wifi range and type on your pc. Different keyboards have different ranges this depends on the keyboard you buy.
People are becoming smarter these days as they are using these keyboards for PC, mobile, tablet, laptop, and more devices which support wireless tech to do their work lot easier.
The only condition for the wireless keyboard is it should be in the range of infrared beams. So, decide yourself whether you have to use this type of keyboard or not with its benefits.
Benefits Of The Wireless Keyboard
- Helps you to move freely and access your pc from different Range.
- These are more flexible and very comfortable to use.
- Wireless keyboard reduces stress-free work and helps you increase your productivity.
- These keyboards are safe and can be quickly taken anywhere.
- These are best keyboards for those who often face back pains or joint pains.
- Very easy to set up and install the wireless keyboard.
3. Mechanical Keyboard
I still remember playing GTA vice city & Road rash games in my PC with the mechanical keyboard. It gives a better reaction now and then when you play games on the mechanical keyboard.
Once it was a great keyboard which was used by most of the people but now as there is a huge demand for other consoles mechanical keyboards demand has brought down.
This mechanical keyboard is ideally built with a spring activated at every switch. Whenever you press a key in the mechanical keyboard, it will push down your button. Then it occurs a completion, and it registers a keystroke, and your PC will perform the action.
If you a new user of this mechanical keyboard means you will definitely like this keyboard as these keyboards only need to be pressed halfway through. Along with that, you will get different sound while typing on this keyboard as well.
Benefits Of Mechanical Keyboards
- Fastest Keyboard: The mechanical keyboards often claim they can type faster than any other console with the most accurate results. It is one of the quicker keyboards where you can type halfway and register a keystroke. So without much efforts, you can record your keystroke on the mechanical keyboard.
- Versatility: This is perhaps the most attractive and part of mechanical keyboards. There are many types of switches in a mechanical keyboard each can affect significantly on the keyboard. You can find different color range options in this cherry MX mechanical switches. If you often need to work on typing projects means you can make use of the cherry MX blue because this offers great typist options.
- Durability: Mechanical keyboards are best regarding durability. They often have a great life cycle while compared to the other keyboards. It has more than 50 million keystrokes. Which means it lasts longer than any board, even after 20 million strokes you won’t find any inconvenience with this unique keyboard.
- Cheaper: In the keyboard market, mechanical keyboards are less expensive than any other keyboards. So, it is affordable to each and everyone.
4. Virtual Keyboard
When it comes to virtual keyboard? It isn’t a standard, and regular physical keyboard which allows you to type or it isn’t hardware. It can be called as software which is helpful to input data.
In this modern world, almost everyone uses this virtual keyboard in their smartphones, tablets, and touch laptops as well. Now the way you type in the smartphones on the touch screen is just with the virtual keyboard.
If you are net banking users means you can find the option of virtual keyboard option while logging to the account as well.
Similarly, if you are windows use means you can use ON Screen Keyboard as well to open that you can simply use Windows key + R — Then type “ask” on that field and enter. Or you can ask Cortana.
These virtual keyboards are specially designed to protect your passwords from the malicious virus, spyware, and trojan programs. This is a special keyboard which puts the risk of password theft away from us.
Benefits Of Using Virtual Keyboard
- These virtual keyboards are portable, and they required no maintenance like physical keyboards.
- They help you in reducing the risk of keystrokes logging.
- Infinity options to customize the virtual keyboard such as keyboard design, layout and more.
- Multiple languages are supported and have different key layouts as well.
- No Extra luggage required just a touchscreen and software is enough.
5. Ergonomic Keyboard
Ergonomic keyboards are specially designed with ergonomic considerations to minimize the muscle strain for most of the keyboard users. Usually, these keyboards are for two-handed typists to free their finger efforts and these are constructed in the v shape. This helps both right and left-hand type a best and natural angle.
If you are having a constant issue with your muscle means you should be considering these types of keyboards.
Although it can help you remove muscle strain, it takes some time to get back to the speed you usually type on other consoles. As the keyboard layout is unusual, you should fit into it.
These type of keyboards are a bit expensive than regular keyboards. There is nothing much to say in ergonomic keyboards rather than below benefits.
Benefits Of Ergonomic Keyboards
- Ergonomic keyboards always maintain proper hand position which helps you minimize the need of extending users to reach the mouse.
- It helps to keep hands in a neutral position and also helps to prevent and restrain hands.
6. QWERTY Keyboard
Most of you might be familiar with these keyboards as these are popular from the typewriters age. Most of the users use QWERTY keypad on some mobile phones as well.
The QWERTY is a special keyboard which is designed for Latin -script alphabets. These are arranged in a specific order but not in regular ABCDEF order.
People used to used this QWERTY keyboards to just because they used to find it hard with ABCD keyboards. As they use the stings underneath each key, it would be helpful for everyone to make use of serial keys in strings.
Most of the users still use this QWERTY keyboard ever after all the latest models of keyboards.
Benefits Of QWERTY Keyboard
- As this is a world standard keyboard, you will have a wide variety of keyboards on this form of a keyboard.
- This keyboard is helpful in making a learning curve for muscle memory.
- As this is the basic version, you will get good speed and accuracy with these type of keyboards.
7. Gaming Keyboard
Gaming keyboards are special keyboards which are designed by keeping games experience in mind. Among the various types of keyboards, it is best for hardcore gamers. in fact, most of the games already use these gaming keyboards to battle with others in the gaming world.
These keyboards have some programmable keys which feature so it one of the best keyboards for games. These keyboards highlight some special keys, and in some cases, they often design or add spice for these keys with different colors and lights as well.
The best aspect of this keyboard is its impressive looks. This is a bit expensive they regular and ergonomic keyboards.
Benefits Of Gaming Keyboards
- You can play correctly with precision and speed accuracy of the gaming keyboard.
- Gaming keyboards have some special programmable keys which helps in different types of games to control the game without using a mouse this is one of the best benefits.
- These keyboards have some smart keys and colorful inbuilt LCD light to impress users.
- Gaming boards will have several finishing touches always to make you stay in the game.
8. USB Keyboards
The USB keyboards are basic keyboards which we use on a regular basis. Today we almost have everything on USB bases such as USB speakers, USB mouse, USB keyboards and more.
These USB keyboards are nothing but a wire connection keyboard which has a USB plug at one side which helps to plug into the computer. It uses a USB interface to connect with the host computer.
In general, if you don’t have suitable drivers installed on your computer, you may face issues with USB keyboards. But, if everything is fine means you can use this perfectly. Most of the people always carry one of the USB keyboards in their bags while they go to different places to work.
Benefits Of USB Keyboards
- These USB keyboards have lower latency than other wireless keyboards.
9. Membrane Keyboard
The membrane keyboard is quite similar to the other consoles in keys, but these keyboards have pressure pads which outlines and symbols printed on the flexible surface flatly. In this type of keyboard error-free blind typing is always a daunting task and it is helpful for protection.
These keyboards work by the electrical contact between the underlying circuits and keyboard keys. The keys in this keyboard are merely covered by the soft plastic and have very less movement. This protects the keyboard from damage and dirt as well. These keyboard typing is a lot lesser than any keyboard.
Benefits Of Membrane Keyboard
- These type of keyboards last longer.
- Can be easily customizable.
- It has a sealability option, so it protects from water seeping in empty spaces of the keyboard.
- These are the different types of keyboards you should be knowing.
10. Roll Up Computer Keyboard
Have you ever heard about the roll-up keyboard for the computer? If you are a travel lover who are looking for the compact keyboard that can be rolled and take it through your backpack, then you should get this handy keyboard type.
Even though there are different types of keyboards available in the market, this rollup computer keyboard is much compactable and boasts unique design as well.
Usually, this keyboard variety is made up of Silicon material with high intensity and elasticity and hence it is very handy to fold it and take when you travel.
Advantages of the Roll-up computer keyboard
- Flexible, portable and easy to store
- Contains dust-proof and waterproof qualities
- Offers you a silent typing experience because the keys are quiet and stable
- Compatible with all latest computer gadgets
- Highly affordable
Wrapping Up The Types Of Keyboards
No doubt that the keyboard is the essential and best part of the computer. Without having a good keyboard type, it is unlikely to get a pleasurable experience when you work in the PC.
I hope this post has helped you to know about the different types of keyboards and you may choose the best one according to your work requirements.
Before buying the keyboard, be clear with the necessities like music, hardcore work, gaming, or writing and fix the budget as well. When you clear with the usage and budget, you can easily buy the appropriate type of computer keyboard.
Now I’d like to hear what keyboard you are more interested in taking.
- Which type of keyboard did you like most?
- Do you use any other types of keyboards?
Share your thoughts and keyboard experience in the comment section!